“The goal of effective classroom management is not creating “perfect” children, but providing the perfect environment for enhancing their growth, using research-based strategies that guide students toward increasingly responsible and motivated behavior.”
~ Sprick, Knight, Reinke & McKale, 2006
Introduction to The Effective Classroom Practices
The Effective Classroom Practices offer research based strategies for increasing instructional time and student engagement. Missouri SW-PBS has created modules to assist teachers as they learn these strategies.
The resources on this page are intended to supplement MO SW-PBS regional Tier 1 training.
- Explain to others the power of positive and proactive strategies in establishing an effective classroom learning environment.
- Clarify expectations and procedures for your classroom, as presented in Chapter 3.
- Teach and encourage appropriate classroom behavior, and discourage inappropriate classroom behavior, as presented in Chapters 4-6.
- Demonstrate active supervision of the classroom.
- Incorporate multiple opportunities to respond into your classroom teaching.
- Selectively use activity sequencing and choice as needed to maintain student engagement.Consider and adjust task difficulty to increase student success and diminish problem behavior.
Tier 1 Workbook Chapter
Effective Classroom Practice Resources
MO SW-PBS Classroom Walk Through Observation updated August 2012
Effective Classroom Practices Training Materials
|1. Classroom Expectations (Content Acquisition Podcast)||Training Video and Module|
|2. Classroom Procedures and Routines (Content Acquisition Podcast)||Training Video and Module|
|3. Classroom Encouraging Expected Behaviors (Content Acquisition Podcast)||Training Video and Module|
|Training Video and Module|
|5. Classroom Active Supervision (Content Acquisition Podcast)||Training Module|
|6. Classroom Opportunities to Respond (Content Acquisition Podcast)||Training Module|
|7. Classroom Activity Sequencing and Choice (Content Acquisition Podcast)||Training Module|
|8. Classroom Task Difficulty (Content Acquisition Podcast)||Training Module|